Fri, Aug 25, 2023 |
10:00AM - 12:00PM
2023 Hike with Naturalist Mark Warren
Hike with Naturalist with Mark WarrenEVENT ENDED
The Georgia Conservancy and Mark Warren, author of Secrets of the Forest Vol 1-4, are excited to welcome you to the Atlanta Memorial Park Day Hike on August 25!
The hike will view the forested areas of this City of Atlanta park through the eyes of the Native Americans, as a living resource of foods, medicines, tools, and crafts. Mark Warren will discuss aspects of this book, Secrets of the Forest Volume I, during the hike.
To understand that the forest supplied everything that the original inhabitants needed is to grasp the essence of life in America before Columbus. In this program the familiar is elevated to the unique. We’ll explore the use of wild plants for foods and medicines. With a little imagination, participants can step back in time to pre-Columbian days. These resources still exist around us and continue to be useful.
- When: Friday, August 25, 2023 // 10:00 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Where: East Palisades Trail / 4058 Whitewater Creek RD NW, Atlanta, GA 30327
- Cost: $15 per person
- About the author: Mark Warren is a lifelong student of nature and primitive lore. Growing up in the Piedmont of Georgia, he was in love with the forest. After being graduated from the University of Georgia in art and chemistry/ pre-med, he served 10 years as a naturalist / environmental educator for The Georgia Conservancy and 17 years as wilderness director for High Meadows Camp. Mark is also the director of Medicine Bow, a ”primitive school of earthlore” in Dahlonega, GA
- Tour Details: Enjoy a guided hike and learn about the natural history and ecology found within this City of Atlanta park. Afterward, GC staff will lead a longer hike for those interested in exploring more of the trails nearby. We encourage folks to join us for both!
- What to bring: Please bring plenty of water, appropriate walking shoes, and attire that can get dirty, sunscreen, a sense of adventure, and many questions.
- Parking: Limited parking. Biking, carpooling, and MARTA are encouraged. We will offer more details as the event date nears.
- Weather: LIGHT RAIN or SHINE. We will provide updates as the event date nears.