Sat, Apr 04, 2020 |
8:00AM - 12:00PM
2020 Arabia Mountain Day Hike
The Georgia Conservancy and Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve welcome you to join us on a day hike through this incredible DeKalb County preserve. Located just 20 miles east of Downtown Atlanta, Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve is a beautiful 2,500-acre park within the Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area that features incredible granite rock outcroppings, wetlands, creeks, pine and oak forests and the remnants of the area's quarrying past.
FROM DAVIDSON-ARABIA NATURE PRESERVE:
“The seemingly barren landscape of Arabia Mountain is the most easily identified landscape of the Heritage Area.
The mountain itself is part of the 2,550 acre DeKalb County park called the Davidson – Arabia Nature Preserve. The Preserve also includes other large formations of exposed granite, wetlands, pine and oak forests, multiple streams, and two lakes.The rare, native plant species, such as the signature red diamorpha in the winter and fall’s yellow daisies, make it seem as though the rock is in constant metamorphosis.
While the Preserve is considered an exceptional ecological wonder the area is also very much influenced by the hand of man. The evidence of quarrying activities are apparent in the industrial debris left on the mountain and of the abandoned structures once used by workers for storage, offices and shelter. The ruins of quarry buildings are found interspersed throughout the park and metal spikes that were used to split the granite are still embedded in the rock.”
- When: April 4 // 8 AM - Noon
- Where: Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve // Nature Center // 3787 Klondike Road, Lithonia, GA 30038
- Tour Details: Guided hikes through the Preserve's forests, wetlands and rock outcroppings, including at hike to the top of Arabia Mountain.
- What to bring: Please bring water, snacks, appropriate hiking shoes (closed-toe), rain jacket, and a sense of adventure.
- Parking: Please park at the Nature Center office.
- Cost: Suggested donation of $15 to support the conservation work of the Georgia Conservancy
Join us on a Georgia Conservancy Stewardship Trip to learn more about important location-specific conservation issues, as well as statewide advocacy opportunities. Our goal is simple: Create a connection between some of Georgia’s most precious places and the people needed to protect them.